Monday, November 19, 2012

Tabloid Weight Stories-Sending Mixed Messages to Women

Like so many people, I see the enormous number of tabloid magazines in bookstores, supermarket checkout counters, pharmacy check out counters and countless other places. Once again, I glanced at the cover of In Touch Weekly with Kourtney Khardashian and Scott Dissick. Normally I look at it for a moment and keep going. However, this time a caption about Adele that caught my eye. I actually opened the magazine to read the article as I am a fan of Adele.

After I read the article,I noticed a theme that made me take action and write the magazine. Whether or not anyone will pay attention to it, I have no idea. But I put it out there in the universe. I thought I'd share it with you.

In TouchWeekly





I picked up the November 26th issue of In Touch Weekly. I was particularly interested in the articles that featured Adele, Kelly Clarkson and the crop of Hollywood celebrities who are too skinny.

I commend your magazine for covering both side of the aisle, so to speak. However, I feel that you may be sending mixed messages to young women and women who are north offorty like me. As you know, there has been a marked increased of eating disorders in middle age women.

My name is Chamein Canton. I’m a curvy novelist and wedding writer. I refer to my novels as curvy girl romances and still a chick lit for women over 40 who haven’t handed in their chick card for hormones, hot flashes or bifocals. I’ve written 6 novels Not His Type, Bliss Inc,. The More Things Change, Waiting for Mr. Darcy, Mixed Reality and I Take This Woman. When Down That Aisle In Style A Wedding GuideFor Full Figured Women (WindRiver Publishing) was released in 2006, I became an expert and appeared on The Insider, Get Married with David Tutera,The Today Show in New York, Eyewitness News Channel 7 Sunday edition and Fios’Push Pause. I’ve also worked on Newsday’s’ Bridal Planner twice

Body imageis what propels me to continue to write and contribute to newspapers and magazines about curvy women. I wasn’t always so evolved. For years I obsessed over the scale. I did some pretty stupid and dangerous things to lose weight. It took being diagnosed with cancer at 23 to put things into proper perspective. My obsession didn’t just take a backseat; I threw it out of the window.

Cancer changed me. I learned that in the end all that mattered was love and not size. The key to feeling and looking beautiful begins with self love; a love that includes body acceptance, setting realistic goals for your body and living a healthy lifestyle.

Now as a woman living with secondary progressive MS, I use my novels to help empower women to embrace their bodies and not be afraid to take chances in life and love. I made plus size the main character and love interest instead of taking on a second banana role (friend, mother).

I was affected by Hurricane Sandy and like many others it changed my life. I have learned to appreciate the small things in life like electricity, food, heat and I really value family and friends more than ever before. I know when the hurricane hit, they weren't concerned with how I looked, they worried that we were all right and what they could do to help.

To that end, though you cover entertainment, I would love to read about curvy celebs who have truly embraced their body and are grateful for the many blessings celebrity has given them. I believe we’ve seen one too many “proud curvy celebrities” jump off the bandwagon when Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem or Jenny Craig calls.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

No comments:

Post a Comment